 Off-Topic / Geek / 3598
Re: Access a LEGO set DB with your phone!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sun, 17 Mar 2002 20:34:46 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.general, Dan Boger writes:

Can you supply Guide data nicely formatted, or better, can the LUGNET guide
respond to queries of a different form so that the desired data only is
returned in speakable format?

it's already available:

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/list/bynumber.txt

So I've figured out what I want to happen with this data source.  Now, if only
I were a programmer!  I've spent the last eight hours trying to learn enough
perl to massage the data into a multidimensional array, but I think I'm giving
up, for the day at least.  I can't find a reference, tutorial, or FAQ that
describes more than the basic concepts of References without completely
unintelligable techspeak.  If anyone has a source, I'd love to read it.

Also, what tool should I be using the parse that web page?  I can't seem to get
the right expression to make split break it down by the fields apparent in the
table.  Am I missing something simple?

So Chris, are you loading data in the background to generate static content
(which is what I think) or are you parsing info from the guide in real time?

If I understand, the current LShop does the former.  I actually just copied and
pasted the past four years and massaged the text into useful form.  I'm trying
to make it the former.

Chris  (Perhaps in over his head.)