 Off-Topic / Geek / 3597
3596  |  3598
Subject:
Anyone know of a free NNTP proxy that will run on NT/2K?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 15 Mar 2002 17:01:06 GMT

I'm trying to find a free NNTP proxy I could run on NT and/or 2K. I have a
home connection with an ISP that does not provide a news server for
reading/posting, but at work my whole LAN has full read/post access via the
ISP used there. What I would like to do is set up a proxy on the work LAN so
I can connect to it from home (preferably via a username/password and maybe
SSL/SSH on top so I don't end up accidentally providing an open news relay)
and get access to all the newsgroups as if I was at work. I don't need a
full NNTP server (the machine I would end up running it on doesn't have a
huge hard disk), and ideally I'd like something that uses hardly any CPU or
memory when idle and doesn't kill the box when in use. Anyone come across
something like this?

BTW: this is not for proxying access to LUGNET as I can access that fine
from home (I'm at home right now ... on holiday!), I just need to proxy
access to a single news server so I can get at stuff like
alt.games.wolfenstein :)

Dan