 Off-Topic / Geek / 2880
Re: Networking: Round 1
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 21:22:08 GMT

J.D. Forinash wrote:

Well, yeah. Someone _desperately_ needs to come up with a scaleable solution
that doesn't involve fourteen different file mungings to change a single
entry. Some folks in the local Linux enthusiasts group wrote "DENTS", which
was supposed to solve this problem, but I like my nice easily human
readable data files, thank you very much... Arg.

We had a script a couple jobs ago that would build DNS files based on the
entries in one machine's /etc/hosts file, but that's not really scalable
past one network....

if you're scripting, why not just write a script that would edit your
files for you?  that way, you run one command, and it'll update the 14
(or 2 :) files that need updates...

On the other hand, at least it's not Sendmail.

even sendmail is manageable - it just needs a little love :)

Dan