 Off-Topic / Geek / 2878
Re: Networking: Round 1
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 14:12:03 GMT

J.D. Forinash wrote:

In article <3AB0C8D8.10401@peeron.com>, Dan Boger  <dan@peeron.com> wrote:

if only a few hosts are supposed to access those "domains", why bother
with dns at all?  just set up the hosts file on all the computers to
point those domains to whatever IP you need...

Geek value. :)

Actually, there can be some real uses, too. Sure, if it's just four or
five machines, it's easy to keep up a hosts file on each of them. One of
the things I wanted my home network to be able to do, though, was handle
the "LAN party" idea easily. Sure, I could just assign each person an IP
address and hand them a hosts file, but it's so much easier to tell them,
"Just set up for DCHP." and have the DHCP server point them at my DNS
server and poof, everything works.

That and I wanted to know how to set up DNS... I've maintained it in
every Real Job I've had, but had never set up a server...

oh, of course - learning how to set up dns and deal with it is every's
geek duty :)  I was just saying that for a smallish setup, it is more
hassle than it's worth...  aside from the learning part :)

Dan