 Off-Topic / Geek / 2690
Re: Thumbnail menu CGI script
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 03:12:10 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Dan Boger writes:
On Thu, Jan 18, 2001 at 05:58:50PM +0000, Bram Lambrecht wrote:
I've written a perl subroutine (thanks, Paul Hartzog) which finds all the files
in a directory and returns some HTML code for thumbnails with links to those
images.  Is there a way I can modify this code so it can work with a URL
instead of a directory?  For example, so I can make thumbnail links to all the
images in my Brickshelf gallery...

no simple way - since the script assumes you have local access to the
directory...  and since there is no real way of you knowing what files are
in a directory on the webserver, unless it allows you to list them.  the
only thing you can do is write some sort of spider, that will follow all
the links on a page...  but that's a different story.

If you want to use URLs to retrieve files, there is the Perl module LWP
which has a "User Agent" tool. I use it to retrieve a set of web pages each
week. With Brickshelf you can't get a plain list of your directory though.
But you could make a short UserAgent (and HTML::Parser) that looked through
that for things specific to Brickshelf's returned page, like links to
gallery.cgi or names of jpg or gifs. It's not complicated to put together,
but, it's not exactly obvious either.

Besides, it's also illegal now--Altavista is going to sue anybody who uses
this algorithm because they patented it. So be careful. (Yeah, right.)