 Off-Topic / Geek / 2223
Re: Cable Modem, Day 1: Elation and Nausea
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 03:08:29 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Christopher Lindsey writes:

I know many people who have a tunnel/VPN set up to and from
work to get around this, though...

Ack, you got me started again...

CURSE MICROSOFT!

So, today I get approval for the VPN at work. The software says it only works
with W98. I at least have W95 and they reassure me I'm ok. Well...

I get the VPN installer. It tells me I need Microsoft Dialup Networking 1.2.
Uhoh. It turns out to be not too hard to find that on microsoft.com so I get
it. It's version 1.3 dated 1999, for any version of W95. Hmm..

During the installation all goes well. After a restart, it goes into setup
mode. This marvel of 1999 technology won't install the VPN module unless I
magically produce the original Floppy Disk #18 from the W95 retail package.
Words starting with F...

Whilst hunting for the W95 CDROM (wow, he's legit) I banged my shoulder on the
keyboard drawer and mangled a keyboard connector when it fell and bounced off
me.

Meanwhile I think my W95 installation is hosed.

My consolation is that it's all in Virtual PC on my Mac and I can blow it all
away and regret nothing.

If the cable folks ever find out I have multiple connections via Virtual PC...