 Off-Topic / Geek / 2219
Re: Cable Modem, Day 1: Elation and Nausea
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 07:32:19 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Christopher Lindsey writes:

The cable modem solution is nice, but the security concerns and
inability
to run any kind of server onsite are two prohibitive for me.

Yeah. The scuttlebutt is that they (RoadRunner) consider a personal firewall to
be a violation of their Terms Of Use--if "they" understand the issue beyond
being scared of it. LinkSys personal routers are *right out*. This is all rumor,
because the Policy statements are dumb and nobody knows beyond a LOT of vague
threats from tech support calls. Slowly, very slowly, the cable industry is
receiving an education in providing Internet Service. Meanwhile, they want you
to put your laser printer (your whole LAN) on their network. Yeah, right.

They do sell a commercial type of account now that might allow servers. Usually
that costs extra from your DSL provider anyway. I just gave up the idea of
keeping the server in my home, but then, am I also in trouble if I host an
Unreal Tournament game? The cable company is just challenged to draw the
distinctions.

-Erik