 Off-Topic / Geek / 2218
Re: Cable Modem, Day 1: Elation and Nausea
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 07:09:52 GMT

Erik Olson wrote:

Wow. After 6 months of DSL he** (Covad/Bell Atlantic) that failed to deliver
even a copper wire, I got a sales call from Road Runner, and was up and running
(ha ha) on a cable modem within 3 business days. AMAZINGLY, Covad's stock
crashed by 55% while the cable modem installers were here! Coincidence?

We've had the same problems here in Champaign-Urbana (Illinois) with
DSL delivery.  McLeod put in two fiber rings around the twin cities
over a year ago, but still haven't made *DSL available to the public
despite promises to have it ready by January, 2000.  AT&T hasn't been
any better, but they're finally delivering on 6 month-old promises.

The cable modem solution is nice, but the security concerns and
inability
to run any kind of server onsite are two prohibitive for me.  I thought
it was too funny when I used it almost years ago and ran into slow
bandwidth
problems -- the tech guy suggested unhooking some of the cable lines
going to TVs in the house.  :)  We ended up using RADSL via an Ameritech
alarm circuit and two Pairgain modems; our ISP had an office right next
to the CO that they could just tap into.

Chris