 Off-Topic / Geek / 2085
Re: Writing A Proposal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 13:10:05 GMT

Allow me to point out the (un)obvious...

UPC = Universal Product Code

where the leading 0 means general merchandise
there is an additional lead character but I forget the detail (something like
3 means pharmacutical)

five characters to the left of the framing bars (if used) = manufacturer
so 42884 = Lego

five characters to the right of the framing bars (if used) = item number
so 06979 = 6979 Interstellar Starfighter

The last digit is a checksum to verify a good read.

99% of the time this SHOULD be true... otherwise it would be very universal,
would it? :)

Dave

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Matthew Miller writes:
Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:
I intend to set up something so that scanning a Lego UPC automatically
enters it in LUGnet as part of my collection.
That would be cool!!!  :-s

Luckily, it looks like Lego uses the set # as the last part of the UPC. At
least from the sets I looked at -- are there cases where this isn't true?