 Off-Topic / Geek / 1591
Re: Shopping for a new PC...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 4 May 2000 03:00:42 GMT

Bram Lambrecht <BramL@JUNO.com> wrote:
Dual PIII 600
512MB RAM
18GB 10,000rpm SCSI drive
3DFX Voodoo3 16MB
DVD drive (need video decompression card to watch movies though)
Viewsonic 19" Monitor
(+ other essential stuff like keyboard, 3-button mouse, etc.
  and, rh linux is preinstalled.)

vs

Hmm, for $3700, I can get
AMD Athlon 1 Gz
384 MB 100 MHz SDRAM
30 GB 7200 rpm Ultra ATA drive
32MB NVIDIA GeForce2 GTS Graphics Accelerator
16x/40x DVD drive
8x/4x/32x CD-RW
19" Monitor
(+Win98, MS Office 2000, and essentials.)
from Gateway.

What would be the main differences between these machines, especially in
terms of performance?  What's the better deal?

Dual PIII 600 vs Athlon 1Ghz is probably a toss-up. With most things, the
1Ghz Athlon will be faster, but rendering is a great best-case application
for SMP, so the two PIIIs might be faster for some of what you're doing. And
really, they're both pretty damn fast. :)

For 3D stuff, there's no such thing as "enough RAM". 384 is quite a bit, but
33% more is nothing to sneeze at. This is probably a bigger factor than the
CPU, actually.

The drive system is where you'll really see the difference between these two
configs. A 10krpm SCSI drive vs 7.2krpm IDE is like night and day. (Or day
and night, depending on your perspective.) The programming group here at BU
did some testing, and found SCSI-based disk systems to perform about twice
as well as the IDE equivalent under moderate-to-heavy load. (Sorry I don't
have exact numbers or references for that; you'll have to take my word for
it. *grin*) For most people, I recommend IDE, but for power users, SCSI is
worth it. It's also nice because more than one device on the chain can talk
at once -- if you add a second drive to an IDE controller, you see a
performance hit.

The nvidia card is definitely better than the voodoo3, although both are
game-oriented and aren't designed for top-of-the-line serious OpenGL.
(And really, if you're doing rendering, that doesn't matter much anyway.)

Quotes 'R' Us                     --->               http://quotes-r-us.org/
Boston University Linux             --->                http://linux.bu.edu/