 Off-Topic / Geek / 1589
Re: Shopping for a new PC...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 4 May 2000 01:14:04 GMT

Bram Lambrecht <BramL@JUNO.com> wrote:
I'm shopping for a new PC.  My budget is <$4000, and I'm a student, so maybe I
can get student discounts?  I know I want a DVD-ROM and a CD-RW drive, but

You can probably get student deals on Apple stuff (which would fit in well
with what you want to use your system for). But even with the discounts,
that may not be the most economical choice.

I've personally been looking at Penguin Computing
<http://www.penguincomputing.com> for my next system. I like them because
they make it possible to specify configurations like "Dual Processor
Motherboard, One CPU" (a great way to leave yourself a nice upgrade path for
the future), and they seem to understand that you might want SCSI on a
workstation. (If you do anything disk intensive, you do!)  Of course, their
systems are Linux based. You could buy a copy of MS Windows and put it on
there if you want, but:

Stuff I use my PC for now:
photo-editing

The GIMP is decent, and Corel's PhotoPaint is due to be released in June (as
a free download). I haven't used recent versions of PhotoPaint, but older
ones really impressed me. (And I'm a big photoshop fan.)

raytracing

Lots of nice raytracing stuff for Linux.

web site development

Linux is ideal for this, but you'll probably want to have access to a MS Win
system so you can see how things look in IE.

Stuff I might do in the future:
more 3D-modeling

<http://www.blender.nl/>

watch DVD's

Ah, that's a catch. Hopefully, we'll win the DeCSS case. But even then, you
really want hardware decompression, and there _are_ hardware solutions that
work under linux. (Or, just buy a playstation. *grin*)

Any suggestions for what to get (specs, brand) and where to shop?

For $3905, you can get:

  Dual PIII 600
  512MB RAM
  18GB 10,000rpm SCSI drive
  3DFX Voodoo3 16MB
  DVD drive (need video decompression card to watch movies though)
  Viewsonic 19" Monitor
  (+ other essential stuff like keyboard, 3-button mouse, etc.
   and, rh linux is preinstalled.)

which would be a pretty slick 3d graphics workstation.

Quotes 'R' Us                     --->               http://quotes-r-us.org/
Boston University Linux             --->                http://linux.bu.edu/