 Off-Topic / Geek / 1237
Re: Custom launchers in Gnome panels?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 23:13:44 GMT

Dan Boger <dan@giccs.georgetown.edu> wrote:
the only problem with that, is the under the current setup, we have
/usr/local an NFS exported directory (which make a lot of sense, as
long as you're not too worried about internal security), so when I
want to test something new, I don't want it exported to all the linux
clients...  that's when I start installing stuff to /usr.

Ah. Yeah, some of the departments I support do a similar thing. (Largely, we
use AFS, but we've got some holdouts....) I've tried to move most of them to
making the exported directory be /usr/local/somethingorother instead of just
/usr/local. That's probably not an easy option for your situation -- maybe
make a /usr/[machinename] or something to be the "real" local filesystem.
(Or, perhaps you could use /opt...)

A big reason to do this is you're able to do system upgrades without
destroying your own stuff.