 Off-Topic / Geek / 1230
Re: Custom launchers in Gnome panels?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 13:39:03 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:
There's a little capplet called "webcontrol" which ships with RHL6.1 which
is *almost* exactly what I need, but I can't seem to locate its source code
anywhere (it seems to be part of some larger package (what package, I have
no idea) rather than being its own package).  If I can find that somewhere,
I can hack it to do something more specialized.

Sorry I can't answer the rest of your question, but I can tell you how to
find the source code of something under redhat. First, find the full name of
the applet binary:

  thneed:~$ locate webcontrol
  /etc/CORBA/servers/webcontrol_applet.gnorba
  /usr/bin/webcontrol_applet
  /usr/share/applets/Network/webcontrol_applet.desktop

Then, query RPM for the package to which the file belongs:

  thneed:~$ rpm -qf /usr/bin/webcontrol_applet
  gnome-core-1.0.39-10

So it's part of "gnome-core". You can do "rpm -qi gnome-core" (or "rpm -qif
/usr/bin/webcontrol_applet", for that matter) to find the exact name of the
source RPM -- sometimes, a src.rpm generates more than one binary rpm. Not
in this case, though.

So now, download gnome-core-1.0.39-10.src.rpm (or whatever) from the SRPM
tree of your favorite Red Hat mirror. Once you have that, there's several
ways you can get at the stuff inside. "rpm2cpio" would be one, but what I
recommend is:

Install the src.rpm:

  thneed:~$ rpm -i gnome-core-1.0.39-10.src.rpm

If you have your /usr/src/redhat tree set up to be owned and writable by a
"source" group, which I recommend, you won't have to do this as root.
(Installing source packages is a strange quirk in RPM, because all it does is
unpack the SRPM to the various trees in /usr/src/redhat -- the resulting
files are *not* managed by RPM.)

Next:

  thneed:~$ rpm -bp /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/gnome-core.spec

This starts the rpm build process (-b) but only does it up through the prep
(-p) stage. The prep stage is responsible for unpacking the sources and
applying packages. So the result:

  thneed:~$ cd /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/
  thneed:/usr/src/redhat/BUILD$ ls -l
  total 1
  drwxr-sr-x  17 mattdm   sources      1024 Sep 21 10:50 gnome-core-1.0.39

And webcontrol.c is located in "gnome-core-1.0.39/applets/webcontrol/".