 Off-Topic / Geek / 1235
Re: Custom launchers in Gnome panels?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 16:46:45 GMT

On Thu, 2 Mar 2000 16:43:29 GMT mattdm@mattdm.org (Matthew Miller) wrote
I really like RPM (and package managers in general). It really gives you a
lot of power, and helps keep your system manageable.

I'd recommend installing anything you build yourself into /usr/local -- that
way, you keep the RPM database there for the rest of your system, but can
still have stuff you've compiled yourself.

the only problem with that, is the under the current setup, we have
/usr/local an NFS exported directory (which make a lot of sense, as
long as you're not too worried about internal security), so when I
want to test something new, I don't want it exported to all the linux
clients...  that's when I start installing stuff to /usr.

Dan