 Off-Topic / Geek / 1164
Re: Netscape Navigator 4.[67] memory leak under RHL6.1+Gnome?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 21:38:05 GMT

On Fri, 11 Feb 2000 21:05:24 GMT, "Todd Lehman" <lehman@javanet.com>
wrote:

Anyone else out there running Netscape Navigator 4.6 or 4.7 under RHL6.1 +
Gnome seeing a slow but massive memory leak?  I'm seeing sizes like 200+ MB
after a few hours of running without restarting it.  It gets really annoying
because of all the swap partition activity, which is noisy and sluggish.

I'm seeing this now with NN 4.7, but it also happened with NN 4.6 fresh out
of the box with the "everything" auto-install of RHL6.1.  Possibly did I
tork something in my configs somewhere really bad or is Linux NN just a
complete piece of garbage?

Would love to use Mozilla, but I tried M12 and hated it, and from a list of
new features/fixes in M13, it doesn't sound like M13 is really any better for
serious use.  So I'm stuck with Netscape.  (Tried Amaya (junk) and a couple
others too (also junk).)

Good to see that Netscape is continuing with its tradition of
providing the same level of garbage as Microsoft, while getting to be
thought of as the picked-on underdog hero with a great product in the
little browser war...

And before the holy war erupts, make sure you note I said "same level
of garbage as Microsoft."

Although I must admit IE5 is darn near rock-solid for me on multiple
platforms.  In fact, during the last week I was asked to check into 3
separate problems in one of my labs involving web browsers (gifs not
displaying properly (until you minimized the browser, then maximized
it), plug-ins not launching properly (twice) and all three times the
problem browser was Navigator/Communicator, with IE5 doing just
fine...

Doesn't do me any good on my own Redhat box, tho.

--
The parts you want and nothing else?