 Off-Topic / Geek / 1165
Re: Netscape Navigator 4.[67] memory leak under RHL6.1+Gnome?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 2000 03:01:34 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Todd Lehman writes:
Anyone else out there running Netscape Navigator 4.6 or 4.7 under RHL6.1 +
Gnome seeing a slow but massive memory leak?  I'm seeing sizes like 200+ MB
after a few hours of running without restarting it.  It gets really annoying
because of all the swap partition activity, which is noisy and sluggish.

I'm seeing this now with NN 4.7, but it also happened with NN 4.6 fresh out
of the box with the "everything" auto-install of RHL6.1.  Possibly did I
tork something in my configs somewhere really bad or is Linux NN just a
complete piece of garbage?
[...]

I kept searching around on the net for more info on memory leaks in the Linux
release of NN, and everything (not much) that turned up was either really old
or only for Win32 or didn't match what I was seeing.  So I figured it *had*
to be something wrong with my system, or else there'd be zillions of people
complaining.

The good news, it turns out, is that the leak is all my fault...not Netscape's
fault at all.  In fact, I don't even think there -is- a memory leak per se in
NN for Linux in the first place.

Here's what the problem was (or at least what I changed to make the problem
go away)...

My two magic BIOS settings for my hard drive were set to "performance" (as
opposed to "compatible") and "enhanced" (as opposed to "disabled").  The
definitions for what these two settings do aren't vrey clear in the help
screens, but setting them both to the wimpier settings not only made the
memory leak magically disappear but also made the hard drive act much quieter
and even a little bit faster.  Weird.  Anyway...one of the help screens in
the BIOS mentioned that the "compatible" setting might be needed for
"alternative" OS's (e.g., Linux), and since this was originally an NT
machine, it was configured the wrong way for Linux.

Whew!

Now NN is hovering between 20M and 30M, which seems reasonable (albeit bloated
compared to mid-90's standards) and zippier than ever.

--Todd