 Off-Topic / Fun / 9794
Re: Punk!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sat, 21 Sep 2002 00:27:27 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Pedro Silva writes:
The Clash (maybe...and only early stuff)
Dead Kennedys
DISlike them both. (Dead Kennedys performed here some weeks ago, BTW)

Yikes!  So now the Dead Kennedys are THE washed-up, has-been rockers that
continue far past any real interest in them.  Who knew?  Now they join the
ranks of Pink Floyd, The Stones, The Who, etc.

I wouldn't waste my time seeing any of these old acts *live* if that's what
one would call it.  The only exceptions I might consider would be The Nuns
and The Cramps (forgot to mention them before); then again, ample
opportunites to see both have materialized and I never have gone yet -- I
guess I am saying I wouldn't rule out the possibility out of hand.  Both
were early adopters of very overt sexual melodramatics on stage so the live
shows might be amusing on some level.

Some others I forgot to mention:
Generation X
Sham 69
Crass
X (another brilliant Los Angeles group)

Y'know, there are other groups that came to mind later on that made me
wonder how to, or where to, pigeonhole them -- just for the sake of
conversation.  Most of these groups would be in the way of proto-industrial,
proto-electronic, new wave, and NY style "no wave".  The time period is
about right, as is the general attitude (non-mainstream).  Amongst these I'd
include:

Faust
Can
Joy Division
Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark ("Architecture and Morality" in particular)
Throbbing Gristle
Cabaret Voltaire
Killing Joke (the first album is VERY raw -- a personal fav)
Die Form
Lydia Lunch (various incarnations, certainly Teenage Jesus and the Jerks)
Foetus (defying all categorization)
Richard Hell and the Voidoids
Talking Heads (early stuff was very influential)
Devo

Ah, who knows...? It's just fun to jog the brain over old music.

-- Hop-Frog