 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 5149
Re: Sept/Oct LEGO Magazine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Thu, 19 Sep 2002 08:58:46 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.loc.uk, David Graham writes:
I received my September/October LEGO club magazine today and I am amazed at
how rude the replies are to the letters that children have written.
If children take the trouble to write they could at least be given a
courteous reply.

These Q and As were also seen in the latest issue of the magazine we get in
the states as well...

I agree with your assessment, David, except that I'm not sure that just
ignoring questions is good. Better to answer them but, if the info can't be
given, say so, don't give flip answers. Kids are smarter than some adults
realise, my son rolled his eyes and said "why are they doing this"...

This is appalling.  When did this patronising of children start?  When I was
young I don't remember suffering this sort of thing.  I remember reading my
dad's Eagle annuals from when he was a child (60's) and they had
fantastically detailed information about science and technology subjects. I
have no idea what age group they were aimed at except to suspect that the
concept of 'aiming' them would be completely alien to the writers but I had
no problems with them at the age of 7 or 8.

Children are intelligent and naturally able to assimilate information
quickly.  I would venture to suggest that Lego-playing children and those
from within that group who can put together a very coherent question and ask
it of TLC are even more so.

As I say, appalling.