 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 5150
Re: Sept/Oct LEGO Magazine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Thu, 19 Sep 2002 11:59:28 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Simon Bennett writes:

This is appalling.

Now hang on... I think "appalling" is a little too strong.

When did this patronising of children start?  When I was
young I don't remember suffering this sort of thing.  I remember reading my
dad's Eagle annuals from when he was a child (60's) and they had
fantastically detailed information about science and technology subjects. I
have no idea what age group they were aimed at except to suspect that the
concept of 'aiming' them would be completely alien to the writers but I had
no problems with them at the age of 7 or 8.

I'm not sure that I agree that the copy in question is "patronising". We do
a lot of testing with the magazines (nearly every issue if I'm not mistaken)
and fun stuff like the Redini spots come back with positive marks. Sure, we
adults think it's a little silly. Sure, we might not remember our favorite
activities as kids including silliness like this. But I guarantee if you
were to go back in time, you would find that we all had some amount of this
that would seem dumb today. I recently found some old Spiderman comics from
my childhood... talk about "appalling" dialogue! I could barely make it
through those issues! Does that mean that the comics were inappropriately
pandering to children? No! It means that they were appropriately targeted
and appropriately developed! (I don't think you can argue with the success
of the Spiderman comics over the years)

Children are intelligent and naturally able to assimilate information
quickly.  I would venture to suggest that Lego-playing children and those
from within that group who can put together a very coherent question and ask
it of TLC are even more so.

Sure, we can, but where's the fun in that? Sure kids can soak up info like a
sponge. This is the reason why kids only a year apart in age can be worlds
apart in mental development. Kids don't have to "learn" every second of the
day. Playing can be learning, as much as reading a book. But more
importantly, non-serious, educational activities have to be balanced by a
freedom to have fun and just be silly.

I hope that I am not fanning the fire on this issue, but I think it is
important to remember that we aren't kids. Asking our own kids, or just
guessing what kids like isn't marketing research. For that matter, anything
outside of our own age range is hard to assume. At several past jobs, I have
worked on projects targeted to Senior Citizens, for example, and was
continually surprised how much my mid-20s mindset didn't mesh with their
issues. I could guess at what they wanted, but I certainly could judge for
certain until I asked a true representative sampling. (My own grandparents
for instance, didn't represent the opinions of the majority!)

As I say, appalling.

One last thought: How many times has a parent or adult thought something
their kids were into was dumb? I know my parents thought my interest in punk
music was pretty silly, since they knew for a fact that it "wasn't real
music". (But I still disagree with them on that front!)

Again, I hope this doesn't add fuel to the fire, but rather helps explain
where the Magazine team is coming from.

Jake

---
Jake McKee