 Off-Topic / Fun / 9750
Re: Linear Thinking - this is an interesting test
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 6 Sep 2002 11:26:28 GMT

"Bob Parker" <cg47@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Subject: Linear Thinking

Hello,  I want to know your answer. After you tell me your answer, I'll
tell you why I want to know.  Be honest!  This is interesting.....

Actually, it's interesting, but not in the way you think ...  ;-)

       Do the math problems below in your head, then go on to the
       next one as soon as you finish. It's an interesting insight
       into linear thinking.

       You do not have to remember the answers. However,
       take your time to do the problems!

Are you going to take time to give us an answer sheet?  (If not, one has
been hurriedly rushed together, and calculator checked for accuracy!)  Not
that any of these are hard, although one or two might require one knows how
to carry over correctly.  ;-)

       15+6

21!  Easy!  Next!

       3+56?

59!  Maybe a little too simple, that's about one step up from adding 1+2 to
get 3!  ;-)

        89+2

Umm what grade level of education were you aiming for??  Answer: 91!

       12+53

Tricky looking but a 3rd year primary student ought to get this right 10-10
times.  65, as if one didn't already know!  :-)

       75+26

Lessee now 6+5=11, carry 1 ... Hands up if you forgot to do the carry
correctly!  Other than that it's as easy as 75+25!!  Next!  Answer: 101!

       25+52

2+5 & 5+2 both equal 7!  Dadah!!  Answer 77!

       63+32

95!  How easy is that?  Even a primary school kid could get these right!
;-)

       I know! Calculations are hard work, but it's
       nearly over

Hard work?  C'mon, I do more mental exercise than this just getting up in
the morning!!  :-P

       Come on, a few more...

Hmm - near the end are we?  Let's see if I make a mistake rushing through
them!  ;-)

       123+5

128!  Not yet ...  :-)

       QUICK! THINK ABOUT A TOOL AND A COLOR!

Beats me what your angle was hereabouts - I kept thinking on what level of
school these math problems were aiming at!!

       Scroll further to the bottom...

[or snip]  :)

       A bit more...

Yawn!  Are we out of class already??

Does a red hammer sound familiar???

Beats the heck out of me - I keep arguing with myself about all the
brown/green I could accumulate for a project I have in mind at the moment!
;-)  As for hammers, well I don't think about them unless my foot gets
caught on a loose nail on the verandah outside!  :-P

If this is not the case, you are among 2% of the
people who have a "different" if not "abnormal" mind.
98% of the folks would answer a "red hammer" while
doing this exercise.

98% of what folks?  What population sample was surveyed, and how many
different walks of life did they come from?

If you do not believe this, pass it around and
you'll see.

Well, I might show it to a friend or two - but I don't expect anyone to
fail, unless they don't know what 1+1 is!  And if they don't, they're
probably too young anyway!  ;-)  And if they have trouble understanding your
objective, I wouldn't blame them, either!  I've seen mental exercises
before, and this would rate <1% of one's required mental capacity for the
arithmetic compared to a lot of the more difficult ones which would probably
require a lot more mental capacity!!  :-)

I would like to see more fun things to do - perhaps a more advanced level of
maths problems, but I'm not at all sure what your objective was here!!  :-/
But keep it up, o-t.fun has been rather quiet of late!  ;-)

Cheers ...

Geoffrey Hyde