 Off-Topic / Fun / 9301
Re: Another one for Maggie (and or Dave!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sat, 20 Apr 2002 02:53:20 GMT

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Tobbe Arnesson writes:
On another, similar, note I can tell all that tuna in Swedish is
"tonfisk" which translates into tuna (ton) fish (fisk). So I guess
other lingos too has the fish in there.

German, too.  "Thunfisch," IIRC.

Apologies in advance to any Finns for the mangling I am about to
commit but...

da Tech (1) , where I went to school, is in a heavily Finnish part of the UP
(2)... one of our favorite stores in Houghton is "Kukkokaupa Flower Shop"
which Finns tell me means "flower shop flower shop" (3)

Oh, and the list of people who are ALREADY crazy includes Dave! (4)

1 - properly: Michigan Technological University. Go Huskies!
2 - properly: the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Where yoopers live.
3 - if you're a Finn and you don't agree, it's because I spelled it wrong.
4 - bang at the end, as is proper.

Apparently in England there is a hill called "Torpenhow Hill."  Quoth
Patricia C. Wrede (noted fantasy novelist) in rec.arts.sf.composition:

First set of invaders:  What's that?
Natives:  The Tor.  (Translation:  The hill.)
Invaders #1:  Right.  Tor Hill it is.
(Some time later)
Invaders #2:  What's that?
Settled descendents of Invaders #1:  Tor Pen.  (Translation:  Hill hill.)
Invaders #2:  Right.  Torpen Hill it is.
(Later still)
Invaders #3:  What's that?
Next round of descendents:  Torpen How. (Translation:  Hillhill Hill.)
Invaders #3:  Right.  Torpenhow Hill...

Type "torpenhow hill" into Google and you'll get lots of other similar
examples - the River Avon is "River River", etc.

--Bill.