 Off-Topic / Fun / 8717
Re: LoTR # 1 on IMDB
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 24 Dec 2001 04:12:00 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Richard Marchetti writes:

What other film is so rich with the societal angst thing [as Fight Club], and
why is it a wrong subject for a film?  Hasn't everything already been done
anyway?

  "Heathers" springs to mind, as does "Doom Generation," and even "A Clockwork
Orange," to a certain point (though admittedly in a different direction. Even
the awful film "Strange Days" addresses the blurring and isolation of the
individual.
  There's nothing wrong with exploring a themes again, since it's almost
impossible *not* to do so...  My complaint is not in the re-doing, but in the
praise that Fight Club received critically and by word-of-mouth as if it were
addressing something revolutionary.

So just out of curiousity Dave!, what film would be your preferred Arthur
myth telling?

  To date, I don't know that there's been a good one.  I didn't have cable and
therefore couldn't watch Zimmer-Bradley's recent miniseries, so I have no
opinion on it.  Anyone know if it was any good?

BTW, I myself took a course in Arthurian romances at Berkeley as part of my
English major.  As to the disparity in our opinions over the movie
Excalibur, maybe I am just more forgiving about it given the task presented
in telling that story.

  You're right in that it's a huge story arc to convey in a single film. I'm
still not thrilled at the acting or cinematography, both of which may simply be
functions of the time.  I try not to be too anal about armor-type things, but
in a case like this, when the disparity was *so* large, it stuck out for me.
Of course, if they made a 6th century Arthur, there wouldn't be much of a
Crusade, and no romance between Lancet & Gwen, either...

Although the film came out in the early 80s, I stated
it was 70s damaged because of the obvious influence of the 70s in terms of
make-up, hairstyles, and to some extent even the costumes -- I didn't
necessarily mean any more than that.

  That's cool--I wasn't trying to be pedantic.

    Dave!