 Off-Topic / Fun / 8695
Re: LoTR # 1 on IMDB
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 21 Dec 2001 17:10:04 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Pawel Nazarewicz writes:
Well - it was going to happen sooner or later due to the incredible reviews it
got early:

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0120737

Do you think it's justified?  I think it's good, but is it really the # 1 movie
of ALL time?

Shawshank Redemption and other movies come to mind ...

-- Pawel

It's just an initial reaction, based in part on enthusiasm.  Yes, I enjoyed
it (note that it is up for a Golden Globe for Best Picture already!), no it
isn't the best movie of all time, but in my view it is only the first third
of an exceptionally long movie, so I reserve judgement.  But these kind of
polls are not about what is the best movie so much as a favorite movie.  I
really like the current rendition of The Mummy, but I hardly consider it a
great movie.  Others might feel a fun movie IS a great movie.

#1?  Always a matter of taste.  And usually the more current the movie, the
more it gets mentioned.  Time weeds these things out.  Casablanca is the
best for me.  Can't match that cast.  Great writing.  Black and white works
for me (Ansel Adams fan).  Others comes to mid: The Godfather.  Citizen
Kane.  Vertigo.  Paths of Glory.  Das Boot.  Maltese Falcon.  Singing in the
Rain.  The Wizard of Oz.  Yojimbo.  Raiders of the Lost Ark.  The Empire
Strikes Back.  I enjoyed Shawshank, but I doubt it even cracks my top 20.

Bruce