 Off-Topic / Fun / 8676
8675  |  8677
Subject:
Fellowship on Film
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 21 Dec 2001 00:55:09 GMT

First of all, do NOT take any small children to see this film.  I would say
probably 10 would be the youngest who should see it, and that is pushing it.
Younger kids will have nightmares for weeks, possibly years, if they are
subjected to this film.

SPOILER NOTICE

See Dave S's very funny spoiler list.
I will add a few thoughts.  The "big" moments from the book are, for the
most part, nicely captured and depicted in the film.  The bridge of Kazad
Duhm, Boromir's seduction by the ring and subsequent repentance, the attack
by the black riders of the Inn at Bree.  PJ did a good job of depicting
Hobbits as happy go lucky types.
I do have a few small criticisms:
All the scenes with Arwen are unintentionally hilarious.  They reworked the
Flight at the Fords scene to make Arwen the hero, thus depriving the entire
episode of its power.
In the film, Aragorn finds Frodo right before Frodo abandons the fellowship,
they say a few moving lines to one another, then Frodo shambles off.
Tolkien's perspective of Aragorn is that he would NEVER have abandoned
Frodo.  It wouldn't have been any more expensive or time consuming to stick
to the script at that point, and it lost something.

Aaron