 Off-Topic / Fun / 8699
Re: Fellowship on Film
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 21 Dec 2001 19:21:00 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Erik Olson writes:

Tolkien's perspective of Aragorn is that he would NEVER have abandoned
Frodo.  It wouldn't have been any more expensive or time consuming to stick
to the script at that point, and it lost something.

But there would have been all that tension with the Company puzzling out
just what Frodo had done, nobody knowing for sure. So the movie takes a
short cut to get closure on that. In the book, Boromir, and Aragorn too had
agreed to go only that far with Frodo (until the death of Gandalf made
Aragorn leader.) He still really really wants to go to Gondor. But in the
movie it's not even clear that they are deliberating their course. All in
all, I was confused by this scene. Aragorn sure lets him go easily! Isn't it
in the Ranger Code to say "But I insist..."?

I agree.  In the book, Aragorn really, REALLY wanted to go to Gondor.  But
after Gandalf died, he knew it was his duty to protect Frodo and attempt to
lead the quest for the Ring.  He was in great doubt as to what to do.  That
is why the fellowship were just sitting around on the beach debating.  Isn't
there something in there where he decided to take Frodo and perhaps one
other Hobbit and split from the main group, while the rest went to Gondor to
help with the war?  Anyway, PJ's configuration took away much of the
richness and complexity of this troubling time.  He just makes Aragorn into
an omnipotent action hero, which I think is a shame.

I'm not too keen on the movie dwarf jokes!

No one tosses a dwarf?  That was an absolute insult to the intelligence.  Oh
well, something for the kids, I guess.

Another area where PJ's simplification hurt the movie--the character of
Saruman.  Yes, the digitally rendered flying shots of the pits of Orthanc
were awesome, but PJ made Saruman into a mindless slave of Sauron, rather
than a cunning schemer with a plan of his own.  In fact, PJ's Elrond (much
too bitter) gets to say some of Saruman's very best lines---"There is no
hope left in the Elves or dying Numenor."