 Off-Topic / Fun / 7590
Re: LUGNET as an "Adult" site
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2001 02:13:10 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Kyle D. Jackson writes:

  I think Greg's been doing a pretty good job of keeping
  it sidesplitting.  :)  But I've been wondering about
  JAL and his choice of places to ramble...when was the
  first time he posted?  Is it at all possible that we're
  being semi-spoofed again?  The behaviour just seems WAY
  too trollish.

I began wondering the same thing.  It's all just so well crafted,
and as many have shown, it's an easy style to copy.  The first
post I noticed was 11 Jun 2001, a response to Brad Justus:
http://news.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=2831

From then-on it's been non-stop.  I took a gander waaaay back and
found some similar names that all seem to be on-the-level:
- Jesse Long (carry-over from RTL at LUGNET's birth, proliferous
poster).
- Jesse R. Long (same guy?)
- Geoffrey Alan Long (also early on)
- Jesse and Valarie Long (fairly recent)

Given our infamous disrupter's history with RTL, it might be that
he picked this new name from somebody who posted on both RTL and
LUGNET years ago.  I haven't bother to check IPs between these posts
and our spoofer/troll/whatever.

Seems a bit suss, although of course people can change over time. I had a go at
the jal-baiting, failing to follow my own advice at
http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=11205 :
Either someone really is that stupid or clueless, in which case their personal
tragedy needn't become public fodder, or the person is baiting in which case
they shouldn't be encouraged.

IMHO the best response is to deal with them on their own terms. Leaving them
alone is probably best. Constructive criticism is okay ("Try to use paragraphs
please"). Telling them to stop being such a $%^&ing loser is a waste of time. If
they are a troll, there's no point playing the game. If they're an individual
with a different take on the world there's no need to victimise them. I think a
community of adults who play with children's toys can probably afford to show a
bit of tolerance with its more eccentric members.

--DaveL