 Off-Topic / Fun / 6984
Re: 20 Years of TLC's Frustration with "LEGOS"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 18:26:39 GMT

In lugnet.general, Frank Filz writes:
I'm wondering what the music scene
will be several decades from now - I have this suspicion that the big
professional groups will be a thing of the past, however, I'm convinced
good music will still be had, and I bet there will be very little piracy
of the best of it - I can forsee three (and a half) sources of music -
the amateurs who freely shares their music, the artists who have rich
patrons who share the wealth of the artists they support [the half is
the rich folk who keep it all for themselves], and the artists who are
supported by a very loyal fan base who are willing to pay $50 [in
today's money] for a real top notch album, because that's what it's
worth to them to have that quality of art [and who will very likely NOT
give copies of it to all their friends]).

  That's a good vision, but I'm concerned that it won't pan out that way.
As long as someone--a loyal fan or not--is comfortable paying less or
nothing for someone else's IP, there will always be considerable piracy.
Even the alleged writer Stephen King felt the pinch recently during his
eBooks media efforts; few fanbases are as rabid as King's, yet his work was
still hacked and pirated in a matter of days.
  I have trouble reconciling an increase in item cost (in adjusted dollars,
as you point out) with a reduction in piracy.  The only way to stop piracy
is not to make it illegal but to make it impossible; ie: make the product
free and readily available from the source, so no secondary markup market
can exist.

     Dave!