 Off-Topic / Fun / 6985
Re: 20 Years of TLC's Frustration with "LEGOS"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 18:59:50 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Dave Schuler writes:
In lugnet.general, Frank Filz writes:
I'm wondering what the music scene
will be several decades from now - I have this suspicion that the big
professional groups will be a thing of the past, however, I'm convinced
good music will still be had, and I bet there will be very little piracy
of the best of it - I can forsee three (and a half) sources of music -
the amateurs who freely shares their music, the artists who have rich
patrons who share the wealth of the artists they support [the half is
the rich folk who keep it all for themselves], and the artists who are
supported by a very loyal fan base who are willing to pay $50 [in
today's money] for a real top notch album, because that's what it's
worth to them to have that quality of art [and who will very likely NOT
give copies of it to all their friends]).

That's a good vision, but I'm concerned that it won't pan out that way.
As long as someone--a loyal fan or not--is comfortable paying less or
nothing for someone else's IP, there will always be considerable piracy.

I would agree---except for what we do (FTE/ITW/EDA).  All of those lists, tend
towards tape trading _of non commerical material_ from the artist.  It is seen
as being done of love of the artist not out of spite.  I mean, I own all the
albums by each of the above artists (Sarah Mclachlan, Tara Maclean, Jewel,
respectively), so I don't feel like I am starving them by trading (for postage)
copies of there music that they cannot/have not released.  I felt much more
regret when they were available, to buy a 'import' CD which was a live
recording than I do to get a burned copy of the CD.

(you can hardly say that I have not supported say Sarah Mclachlan, when I have
~24 commecial albums of hers....realize that she has only released _5_ full
length albums!)

Now, do I have concerns about how some artists are going to make money?  Yes,
but I think the ones that will be worst affected are those who are aimed mostly
at the center of the road.  If you look at Napster, I am sure that the
breakdown of songs would have been about 80% top 100 songs, and 20% songs that
are rare to find (stuff like "Gloomy Sunday", before B sides was released...or
any of the stuff off "Live")

I don't think it is doom and gloom yet, but can see the posibilities!

James