 Off-Topic / Fun / 6321
Re: All The Money In The World
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 21 Dec 2000 16:44:25 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Dave Schuler writes:
Hypothetical:

I live in Boombaville, a closed economic community in which the total money
available equals $1000 and where money orders cost $.50.  Having closed an
auction deal with an AFOL in a distant part of Boombaville, I proceed to the
post office to buy my money order.  I walk in with $10.50 and walk out with
a ten-dollar money order negotiable for trade and purchase.

I might be missing something simple, but it seems to me that I've
increased the net dollar amount in the community by $10.  In any case, this
would be temporary money, since it will cease to exist after my fellow AFOL
cashes it, but what about in the meantime?

Dave!

Assuming your money is part of the total $1000 the economy never would increase
because you give $10.50 to the post office. The post office increases it's
portion of the $1000 dollars by $10.50 at the same time you lose $10.50 of your
portion. Then when the AFOL gets the money order, his portion of the $1000
increases by $10.00 the same time the post office's portion decreases by
$10.00. Thus at any given time the total money will always equal $1000. The
only way to change the value of the community is to add or remove money.

HTH,

Jude