 Off-Topic / Fun / 4445
Re: Lunar Rover (foldable)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 19:39:27 GMT

Does anyone have a pointer to a website with details of *how* the Lunar Rover
folded (and was stowed in the LM)?  I did some preliminary searching, and found
some great Apollo information (that I intend to go back to and reread in depth),
but only superficial references to transportation & packaging of the LR on its
trips to the Moon.

Steve

In lugnet.cad.dat.models, Axel Poqué wrote:

This is a variation of my original lunar rover. The Apollo Lunar Rover (LRV)
had to be folded for stowing it in the Lunar Module (LM) due to space
considerations. I was able to make this work, but unlike the original I had
to use two sets of hinges to make this work.

The drawbacks are:
   - the rover is still to big (this one's even 1 stud longer)
   - two hinge points instead of one

If you want to see how it works select LRFolded.dat as active model (this is
an MPD).

Now the only thing I have to do is building a Lunar Module to put the rover
into :-)