 CAD / LDraw Files / Models / 1049
Re: Lunar Rover (foldable)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.models
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 21:46:11 GMT

I really, really like those backpacks. I hope you end up building an entire
line of Appolo vehicles (modules, launch pad vehicles, rockets) and tools. • I
would really like to see your version of the Lunar Module!

Mladen Pejic, over and out!

Thanks for your praise! (...stands up, smiles humbly, takes a bow and sits
down at the keyboard again.)

Just in case no-one noticed: my rover folds the wrong way. The Apollo Lunar
Rover is folded so that the outside of the stowed package is the bottom of
the rover (mine is the other way round). This can be seen at
www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/History/alsj/a15/a15.lrvdep.mov. This is a 4.8 Mb
time lapse movie of the actual Apollo 15 rover deployment. If I find out how
to do this (while still having a stable, playable model) I'll post an
update.

As for other Apollo hardware, I've contemplated about building a LM, but
there are still to many open questions, so don't hold your breath. I don't
have enough (or the right pieces either). The Saturn rocket is only a crazy
dream right now. Just consider the dimensions:

    If you use 5 stacked standard bricks as a scale, taking that height as 2
meters
    then the model will be 2.665 meters high (Saturn V height: 111 m) and 25
cm in
    diameter.

    If you take the width of a 2 x 4 brick to be 1 m (minifig's are a bit
squat), the model
    will even be 3.55 m tall and 32 cm in diameter.

I really don't have enough bricks for a model this size. Although I might
try something in MLCAD, given the information from
http://www.apollosaturn.com

For an Apollo rocket and launchpad (although not minigfig scale), check out
the following pictures from an old ideabook on brickshelf
http://www.brickshelf.com/scans/0000/0241/0241-16.html and
http://www.brickshelf.com/scans/0000/0241/0241-17.html

Yours,
Axel Poqué

P.S.:

Be sure to visit the Apollo Lunar Surface Journal at
www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/History/alsj and NASA's history pages
at www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/History . For non-NASA information about
Apollo go to
http://www.apollosaturn.com