 Off-Topic / Fun / 4140
Re: Dark Gray Tanker
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sun, 23 Jan 2000 22:39:34 GMT

On Sun, 23 Jan 2000 02:16:55 GMT, Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net>
wrote:
Jasper Janssen wrote:
On Sat, 22 Jan 2000 13:03:10 GMT, Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net>
wrote:

Do people still even use forums?

Larry? Look around this virtual space. What is it you see?

Something non IBMish.

Perhaps, just perhaps, I wasn't talking to you(1), and wasn't talking

Never.

about newsgroups(2). Forums are a peculiar, IBM specific thing that

A newsgroup is a forum.

significantly predate the widespread adoption of newsgroups. They were
dying out, relatively speaking, within IBM when I left.

They were essentially an early implementation of news, much as has
been developed in a lot of places (various universities had an imp,
DEC had one, Xerox PARC probably had one..). Direct precursors to
NETnews, as it were.

1 - unless you just changed your name to Frank, that is.

If you want to talk to someone in private, email is over that ---->
way.

2 - here's a clue, do you know of a newsgroup named IBMTEXT NITPICK
FORUM?? Note the capitalization and lack of periods in the name. Here's
another clue... do you know what a "conferencing disk" is(3)? Doesn't
SOUND much like "news server" does it?

I can read for context. I have a pretty good idea of what a
conferencing disk is, because you're not even the first person to
mention the IBM FORA in passing where I could read it.

BTW, what do you think this is? It's not a USEnet news server, you
know. It's not even an NNTP server. It5 just uses much of the same
protocol for simplicity.

And next time I try to make a joke in .fun, I'll be sure to include a
smiley. Furrfu.

Jasper