 Off-Topic / Fun / 3980
Re: Millenium Fool's Day!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2000 21:22:43 GMT

Bruce Schlickbernd <corsair@schlickbernd.org> wrote:
For the anal-retentive amongst us, there is no year 0, therefore the last
year of the 20th century (big clue: 20 x 100) is 2000, which means the
start of the third millennium A.D. (it's an abitrary start date, never mind
it isn't really the date the inventor had in mind) is 2001.

Or to say it another way, we count the year we're IN, not the year we've
finished. It's different from the way we count people's birthdays, for
example. I just turned 25, which means I'm in my 26th year. And the years
just "turned" 1999, meaning that we're in the 2000th, which is what people
get all excited about. The millennium doesn't end until we get done with
this year.

If we did count by finished years, it'd be at the true millenium change
when we got the bunch-o-zeros.

Anyway: although people may not understand this very well this time around,
I can guarantee that a little less than a year from now, everyone will be
saying it, as they cast around for something big to party about.