 Off-Topic / Fun / 3975
Re: CLSOTW - Thanks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2000 20:10:31 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Dave Schuler writes:
In lugnet.pirates, Christopher Lannan writes:
Nitpick- there IS NO year zero. There are 10 years in a decade, so the last
year of the first decade was 10, the first year of the next decade was 11.
Taking this to today- there are 1000 years in a millenium, so the last year • of
the first millenium was 1000, and the last year of this one is 2000. The • first
year of the new millenium (and the 21st century) is 2001. Simple as counting
to ten. Millions of people saying that it's the new millenium doesn't make it
so.

I think everyone here knows this, in much the same way that April 30 does
not equal May 1.  However, there's no point in complaining about it, because
even if it's not "so," no one really seems to care.  Besides which, it's not
going to matter, really for at least another 100 years, and I'll be happy to
resume this debate with anyone at that time.

    Dave!
It's not that I care so much either. I believe that the year 2000 is a big
deal, and worth celebrating. The thing that bothers me is that folks I respect
and expect more of are making such a simple mistake. I don't read Time
magazine, for example, for my news, but many people do, and it's a little
frightening to see them make such a mistake- same with just about all thge
other news media out there- they SHOULD know better. It's really as simple as
counting to ten. The other thing that bothers me about it is when I say that
the new millenium starts in 2001, then all of a sudden I'm the crackpot, and
all the other million folks in error are "right."  Can you say "baaah"?

follow-ups to lugnet.off-topic.fun