 Off-Topic / Fun / 3979
Re: Millenium Fool's Day!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2000 21:03:46 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Steven Vore writes:
Jennings' reaction to the guy with the 2MI shirt on NYE?)

I didn't see it- a brief explanation please?

2MI?  2M1?  One or the other - basically maintining that "the big event" isn't
really going to happen until 2001 (MMI in Roman Numbers). ABC's lovely anchor
looked at him like he had two heads and three arms, then pointed at the hoards
filling Times Square and said "convince them and then I'll believe."

Oh yea, there is some level of intelligence in our news media... what that
level is, I'm too nice to say :-)

-Steven
(who's without a spell-checqer todaie, pleese bee neice)

For the anal-retentive amongst us, there is no year 0, therefore the last year
of the 20th century (big clue: 20 x 100) is 2000, which means the start of the
third millennium A.D. (it's an abitrary start date, never mind it isn't really
the date the inventor had in mind) is 2001.

On the other hand, April 1st used to be the start of the new year, and then
some darn Pope changed it to January 1st.  We know what name that those who
didn't go with the flow got stuck with.

Whereas I technically agree it should be 2001, who the heck wants to celebrate
that odd number rather than the nice neat round 2000?  50 million frenchmen
can't be wrong!

Can they?  :-)

Bruce