 Off-Topic / Fun / 3914
Re: Michigan STATE is second RATE (was Re: For Sale: Mindstorms RIS 1.5 $160 inc. shp.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 1999 01:59:48 GMT

Mr L F Braun wrote:

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

<snip>

I shan't debate A-squared's leftist slant. We'd call it Michigan's
Berkeley but we have a Berkeley already! Nor shall I debate U of M's
internal failings. So stipulated. (and corroborated by my cousin who
does post doctorate level genetic research there)

I merely wish to point out that you yourself have put your finger on the
crux of the matter. Michigan is a national school with a national
reputation, hence the higher proportion of outstate attendees, while
State, is, well, it's a STATE school. Forever condemned to be perceived
as second rate. True or not, fair or not.

So I'll root for U of M even in years when State's team actually is
better coached and better managed and has better players... (most of the
time lately it seems), because, well, because it's MICHIGAN, not mere
lowly STATE. So I shall continue to twit MSU alumni every chance I get.
If they are made of stern enough stuff they will point out that what I
think of them doesn't matter to them. :-) And if they aren't, they'll
try to defend their alma mater. :-)

1 - I am a U of M fan in everything except Hockey, where I root for my
alma mater, 'da Tech. I know many alumni of other schools who favor U of
M over MSU, and few that are the other way round. Still, there's a few
bad apples in every bunch, I guess.

Michigan Tech?  Where the men are men, and the women are men too?

And the sheep are nervous. We had to find a different farmer (that
hadn't yet heard of us) each year to borrow chickens from for barn
party. (1)

(I hear
the ratio has improved to 5:2 male:female.)

It was 5:1 when I arrived but had gotten to around 7:2 when I left.
Wasn't a problem for me. I married my little sister. (2)

1 - not as bad as it sounds, it's just that the chickens, after having
had a fair bit to drink, learning to enjoy the blues, and getting free
range of the basement for a whole night, tended not to want to go back
into their cages and lay eggs. So the farmers, faced with rebellious
chickens, would refuse to loan us chickens next year, asking that we buy
them outright. Now what would a bunch of beer drinking fusball playing
lecherizing engineer-type fraternity boys actually do with actual
chickens? WE didn't want to have to keep them... and no one had the
heart to actually OFF the chickens, and the cook said "I just cook 'em,
I don't kill them...".

2 - but I'm an only child.