 Off-Topic / Fun / 3875
Re: Merry Christmas from the Libertarian Party
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 28 Dec 1999 21:47:31 GMT

On Mon, 27 Dec 1999 09:37:01 GMT, "Selçuk <teyyareci>"
<sgore@nospam.superonline.com> wrote:

Just come to my mind. Is there a word as "noel" in English or other western
languages? I just realized that we call Santa Claus(1) as "Noel Baba" which
means "father noel" or "noel father", and I just wondered what is the origin
of this name.

Noel is French for christmas, where Santa Claus is called "Pere Noel"
(Father christmas). It could be that the french got it from your area,
though, as as you say, the saint IIRC originates in Turkey (He was
bishop of Myra, way after his death his bones were robbed and a church
was built around them in a little city in Italy. IIRC it was Genoa,
but I'm not very sure.

Selçuk

(1) St. Nicholas, actually, isn't it? (I remembered this from the visit to
his church last year in Antalya, Turkey)

As far as I can tell, the american "Santa Claus" is actually a
bastardised version of the dutch "Sinterklaas" (presumably coming with
Dutch immigrants), which is itself a bastardisation of St Nikolaas.

Interesting is that the dutch and a few surrounding countries
celebrate his feast on the evening of the 5th of december, which is
the eve of his dying day (the 6th). We give presents then, and none on
christmas. In today's day and age, of course, kids want More! Better!
More!, so many people celebrate both with giving gifts.

Jasper