 Off-Topic / Fun / 3874
Re: Lego vs. Pokemon
Newsgroups:
lugnet.promo, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 28 Dec 1999 21:01:30 GMT

[moving to off-topic.fun]

In lugnet.promo, Jeff Thompson writes:
In lugnet.promo, Tobias Möller writes:

John DiRienzo wrote:
  What is this so called Pokemon?

It´s a fun, great video game from Nintendo.

It's also a cartoon (anime - japanese animation), and,
most importantly in geek circles (I think), it's a collectable
card game, rather like Magic the Gathering.

There is also a manga(comic) version.  Oh, and I don't think it is the "geek"
crowd that is collecting the cards; I think it is mostly kids and the anime
fans who like Pokemon.

Now why can't the good stuff like Slayers, Lodoss War TV, Captain Tyler, or
Evangelion get on TV here(1)?  *sigh*  :)

The official Pokemon web site:  http://www.pokemon.com/

It apparently covers the videogames, comics, movies, etc.

You can see the little yellow pokemon, Pikachu there,
who is pretty much the mascot for the entire ball of hype.

Ah, yes.  As one one of my friends says, "That annoying little yellow rat".  ;)

Jeff

1 - Actually I've heard (from multiple sources) that MTV is trying to get Eva,
and SciFi is trying to get Slayers.  *That* would be cool.