 Off-Topic / Fun / 3625
Re: Household uses for LEGO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.trains, lugnet.build
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 10:03:58 GMT

In the company that I work for (a manufacturing company focuses on products
from Al/cu pipes for appliances industry), we generally design and produce
our own machinery to produce something specific when the production numbers
are high.

The conceptual design is generally performed by our boss ( one of the most
able mechanical engineer that I knew so far) and after that I build small
working models of critical mechanisms of the whole, to visualize that the
idea is working or not. Then we conclude about it with him, and I start
dimensioning and technical drawing.

Anyone here who plays with legos with his/her(1) boss?..:-)

Selçuk

(1) he, she, it...another oddity of European languages..:-)

Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> wrote in message
This doesn't quite count, but it's close.

I just ran off 10 copies of my black hopper. Since this was tedious, I
did everything I could to make it quick, by doing the same step over and
over. After I got to a certain point in the construction, I needed a
stabile base to assemble on if I wanted to do things quickly.

So I took measurements of the frame of the hopper, where the various
changes in depth were, and fashioned a jig.

This jig had tiles at various points on it, but the main feature that
made it fast was that I mounted 4 of the 1x16 (1x14, I forget??)
"lattice plates" on the top surface as the main load bearing elements.
These plates then had bricks and slopes plugged into the top, upside
down, to form guides.

So, I could almost "toss" a partially completed frame onto this jig and
it would self align to be firmly supported. Greatly sped parts placement
over holding the frame in one hand and placing parts on the other.

I built 10 hoppers in about 5 hours, and that included securing/sorting
out the necessary parts from my bins.

Has anyone else ever built a jig from LEGO to speed building something?
I don't mean a mockup or design study but an actual fixture...

If there is sufficient interest I will ldraw the jig and post it.

Ed Jones wrote:

Several years ago we bought a new phone for the desk.  However, we • didn't like
the phone sitting flat and needed an angled base.  An 8x16 plate of blue
bricks and low slopes worked perfectly.  Its still in use (and I • certainly
don't miss the blue bricks).

So I was wondering if anyone else has used LEGO elements to build • anything that
has become a household fixture.