 Off-Topic / Fun / 3608
Re: Household uses for LEGO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.trains, lugnet.build
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 15:51:45 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Larry Pieniazek writes:
This doesn't quite count, but it's close.

I just ran off 10 copies of my black hopper. Since this was tedious, I
did everything I could to make it quick, by doing the same step over and
over. After I got to a certain point in the construction, I needed a
stabile base to assemble on if I wanted to do things quickly.

So I took measurements of the frame of the hopper, where the various
changes in depth were, and fashioned a jig.

This jig had tiles at various points on it, but the main feature that
made it fast was that I mounted 4 of the 1x16 (1x14, I forget??)
"lattice plates" on the top surface as the main load bearing elements.
These plates then had bricks and slopes plugged into the top, upside
down, to form guides.

So, I could almost "toss" a partially completed frame onto this jig and
it would self align to be firmly supported. Greatly sped parts placement
over holding the frame in one hand and placing parts on the other.

I built 10 hoppers in about 5 hours, and that included securing/sorting
out the necessary parts from my bins.

Has anyone else ever built a jig from LEGO to speed building something?
I don't mean a mockup or design study but an actual fixture...

I made a jig to help speed up the building of my modules.  It would slide into
place around one tower of 2x2 bricks and have a notch for the next tower.  It
would slip out very easily and had tiles on the bottom to allow it to slide
over the studs on the base plates.

Mike Poindexter