 Off-Topic / Fun / 3396
Re: What might have been...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 02:27:39 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Sanjay D'Souza writes:
After reading a number of posts from people who are disappointed at some
of the sets I wondered what kind of reaction previous years LEGO sets
would have got if LUGNET was around........ummmm.......

Well, before LUGNET, remember, there was (and still is) RTL, and before
that, there was ATL.  Same crowd of people, more or less.

Er, my point was that what's happening now is absolutely nothing new.

Many people have been disappointed every single year since I can remember
(back to about November of 1993).  Nothing has changed this year except it
sounds this year like the ratio of happy/excited people to unhappy/
disappointed people may be higher than last year and the year before.

So here's how it works:  This is a hard pattern which repeats itself *every*
*single* *year* without fail:

1. The new catalog shows up, and someone scans it.

2. People collectively analyze the catalog and post tons and tons of comments
   and analysis.  Some of the sets & themes make people super-excited and some
   make people vomit.

3. Sets start appearing in stores.  Now the excitement really picks up.  In
   late November and early December, nearly one or two new sets are discovered
   each day in some store somewhere in the U.S.

4. The actual sets, once seen first-hand, always look better and more fun than
   they do in the initial catalog photos.  Much of the early negativism turns
   into positivism.  (Excepting of course things like Town Jr. and Time
   Cruisers.)  People post things like, "I've gotta hand it to LEGO for really
   having thought this through; I didn't expect this set to really be this
   cool."

--Todd

[followups to lugnet.general]