 Off-Topic / Fun / 3395
Re: What might have been...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 02:12:57 GMT

Sanjay D'Souza wrote:
After reading a number of posts from people who are disappointed at some of
the sets I wondered what kind of reaction previous years LEGO sets would
have got if LUGNET was around........ummmm.......
[...]

The man makes a point.

After seeing the LEGO y2k catalog, the one thing that's been going around and
around in my head is the notion that we are getting older -- all of us --
while the average age of TLG's targeted audience is pretty much staying put.
Of *course* newer sets are going to be worse than before.

Is it really a case of (overall) decreased quality in TLG's products, or is it
really that our collective expectations are slowly but surely climbing?  I
suspect it's more of the latter, less of the former.

Sure, there have been severe dips in quality levels -- Ice Planet and Town Jr.
come to mind.  There have also been some rather impressive climbs as well --
Blacktron and Star Wars for example.  And even then, it's all highly
subjective.  Lots of folks like Ice Planet and hate Star Wars.

A lot of it has to do with pre-dark ages experience as well.  What made the
Galaxy Explorer so good for me was the play value I got from it when I was ten
years old.  If that model were released for the first time this year, I might
not have given it a second look in favor of the new MF.

Actually, most models that TLG releases are below my "maturity" threshold.  It
probably is for all of us.  The models that we design, build, and publish by
ourselves are invariably more sophisticated than TLG's.  But I think that that
is the point.  TLG's real success lies in planting the seeds of creativity
into the minds of children (even the inner ones), and that's hopefully what
they will continue to do.  If you've grown past that stage, then good for
you!  Come up with something better then.

Oops, off topic for .off-topic.fun !  ;-)

Cheers,
- jsproat

[f-ups set to lugnet.general]