 Off-Topic / Fun / 3358
Re: rolling rectangular pizza dough -- suggestions?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sun, 7 Nov 1999 22:52:33 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Todd Lehman writes:

Todd,

During my third year of law school, some of my apartment-mates' friends that
worked in a pizza shop taught me the true trick to making piza dough come out
in a nice shape.

First, you have to give up on the rolling pin and do the job manually ;-)

For the next few steps, remove all rings and watches (and bracelets, if any
readers wear them).  Also, make sure that your hands are dry (and clean... ;-
) ).

After allowing the dough to rise sufficiently, punch it back down into a disc
shape.  Holding the disc with both hands between your fingers and thumbs,
palms up, slowly flattent the disc more and more by rotating the dough in your
hands and you flatten thick parts as they fall under your thumbs.

You can stretch the dough a little bit while doing this, but most of the
stretching is done in the next step.  NOTE: Thin places are fine, but holes
are BAD!

Eventually you will have flattened the dough out enough that it is getting
unwieldy, to the point that it droops and starts to tear under its own weight.

Now you need to put the dough on the backs of your hands, sort of like a tent,
using the back of your hands and your knuckles (not your fingers) to slowly
stretch the dough by pulling your hands apart and up into the dough at the
same time.  As the dough starts to resist the pulling in that direction, bring
your hands back together in the center of the dough as you rotate it a bit so
that your next stretching of the dough will be in a different angle than the
last.

((Remember that thin places in the dough are fine, but holes are bad.  Holes
can be pinch repaired if small enough, but if you create a large hole the
dough needs to be made back into a ball and allowed to rest for a while.))

Slowly you will create a nice thin pizza shaped dough that goes a ways up your
arm as you do this, typically with a ring of thicker dough around the outside
edges.  You may, if you like, hold the dough by its circumferential perimeter
and squeeze down the edges to make them thin.  Finally, lay the pizza on your
peel, which should have already been dusted with corn meal.

Oh, and to finally answer your question, you can make it square by simply
making your last few stretches along two perpendicular axes.

I make 40 or 50 pizza's a year using this method, and my friends by and large
love it.  I have taught several people how to do this, but I must say that is
difficult to

BTW:  I buy my dough as frozen loafs of "Enriched White Bread Dough" in the
freezer section of the market, typically as one pound loaves, five to a bag.
This stuff works great, tastes better, can be thawed in the microwave if you
don't plan ahead and can be stored for a long time in the freezer and still be
great.

Once you have mastered this lesson, I could share the preparation of miniature
dessert calzones (made with a little bit of hoarded extra) called "Smooches".

Will Middelaer

I'm having a bit of difficulty getting my pizza doughs to roll out properly
to a rectangular shape for a rectangular piece of stoneware.  Anyone having
any magic tips/tricks/suggestions?  It wasn't a problem doing round pies on
rectangular stoneware until recently when I started adding thick portobello
mushrooms and more sauce -- so the dough needs to be thinner and cover more
area for that much topping-matter.  :)

The doughs I buy come round (not square :) in a pastic bag, and even when I
use a special 4"-wide pizza rolling pin and make rolling motions only to the
four corners, the dough still comes out fairly rounded.  It's very odd.

--Todd