 Off-Topic / Fun / 3238
Re: One of the Mindfest pics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 14:05:58 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Frank Filz writes:
Todd Lehman wrote:
That's me trying to crack a smile.  :)  Naw, we were talking about roadsign
confusing in New England (especially Massachusetts) and someone (I think it
was KevinL) was describing a particularly weird one that says "thickly
settled" but really means "speed limit 30 mph."

The best road sign I ever saw was in a construction area in
Pennsylvania:

"Caution - Unusual Traffic Patterns Ahead"

Another fun Massachusetts thing is the Yellow+Red light signal which
indicates that crosswalks are in use. I never figured out for sure if
this overrode "right turn on red" (which incidentally one place where MA
had the better sign - MA used to have signs ALLOWING right turn on red
as opposed to signs prohibbiting it - this allows for a bit better
safety as you need to actually pay attention, plus if a sign falls down,
an intersection doesn't suddenly become more dangerous).

The Yellow+Red is very confusing.  My wife who grew up in Massachusetts saw it
while we were stopped at an intersection and she asked me "What is up with
that" and I had to expain it to her.  It is a very odd thing and I don't even
know if it overrides Right turn on Red or not.  By the way MA has gone to only
Right on Red signs where it is prohibbited.

One of the more interesting events in Massachusetts sign history happend about
15 to 18 years ago when they decided to reverse all the signs in Rotaries (For
those that don't know what a Rotaries is.  Rotaries are the same Round-Abouts
in Europe.  It is the intersection of several road where instead of Lights all
the roads merge into a circle of traffic and then you go around the circle
until you get to the road you want).  Well about before the change it used to
be that cars in the Rotary (Those in the Circle) had to Yield to those entering
the Rotary.  Then they decided to reverse the signs so that the cars in the
Rotary had the right of way and the cars trying to enter had to Yield.
Needless to say there was mass (no pun intended) confusion for quite a while
until people got used to the new laws.

Of course in MA non of the signs or traffic laws apply to Cab Drivers.

Eric

Remove ".nospam" when replying by E-mail

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/

--
Frank Filz