 Off-Topic / Fun / 2894
Re: Final Fantasy VIII
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 06:15:00 GMT

Jeff Stembel wrote in message ...
Well, I got Final Fantasy VIII last week, and I must say, It is an • excellent
game.  Square did stick with their pattern of odd numbers being gameplay • based
and even numbers being story based, as this game has a really good story. • The
graphics are cool, especially the Guardian Force animations and the FMV. • The
Junction System and the Draw/Stock system are a lot better than I thought
they'd be, and it's a lot of fun to try to find the spells that work best • with
the different stats.

I do have some gripes, though.  One of my biggest gripes is the fact that • you
can't purchase weapons and armor(not that armor exists in FF8).  You have • to
find magazines that allow you to upgrade your weapons if you want to do • more
damage.  Also, While an excellent RPG, this game is not Fantasy(1).  My • last
major gripe is with some of the FMV sequences.  A number of them are marred
when the regular rendered character models are put into the Pre-rendered • FMV.
It is very jarring.

Anyways, I am currently on the second disc, standard party consisting of • Squall
(named Auld in my game), Rinoa (named Min), and Selphie.  Min has around • 4500
hp, Auld has about 6300, and Selphie has 6200.  Gotta love them Tornado
Spells!(2)  :)  I have all GFs currently available (i.e. through • Pandemona),
and my personal favorite is Shiva.  Carbunkle is *really* cute as a little
green rabbit-like creature, and I swear Diablos and Eva Unit 1(3) were
separated at birth.  The same can be said of Cid and Elton John...

Oh, and the card game rocks!

So, does anyone else have it yet?  What are your thoughts?

Jeff

1 - A prerequisite to be a 'Final Fantasy', IMO.  Check out an earlier • thread
from me for more info:  < http://www.lugnet.com/general/?n=6012 >

2 - Tornado boosts your hp more than most other spells.  I believe I have
hp+40% as an ability though, so it isn't entirely because of the spell.

3 - The big purple mech from Neon Genesis Evangelion, if you were
wondering.

   Your evaluation makes me want to play it, but, as we just got FF8, I
doubt if I will be able to go anywhere near the game machine for a couple
weeks.  From a distance, it looks fun.
--
   Have fun!
   John