 Off-Topic / Fun / 1974
Re: WooHoo!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 16 Jun 1999 19:44:51 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
Jeff Stembel wrote:
Item 1:  DIVX is dead!!!!  Yay!  Cm'on everyone, lets sing!  Ding, Dong, • DIVX
is dead... (I can't believe I *said* that!)

Which would explain why the Circuit City here is trying so hard to get rid
of them.

Pray, tell -- just why is DIVX dead?  Actually, what exactly is DIVX?

It was a corperate ploy to milk consumers for more money, and most people
didn't fall for it.  ;)  Actually, I think they were having a hard time getting
movie companies to make DIVX discs.  You can read more about it at CNET's
News.com

DIVX is an alternate DVD format that allows you to buy the disc for about $5,
watch it for 48 hours, and then opt to extend that period ($3 for another 48
hours IIRC), or buy the ability to watch it unlimited times(~$15?).  The DIVX
player connects to a central server, gives your credit card number and unlocks
the disc (That info is stored in the player's memory).  However, you can only
watch it on that one DIVX player, otherwise you have to shell out more Cash (so
if you have two players in your house, you have to pay twice to watch on both).
Also the discs just have the movie itself, unlike DVDs which tend to have
Multi-language, Extras, interviews, etc.  These discs do not work in regular
DVD players.  I got all this Information from CNET's News.com over the past two
years.

Cheers,
- jsproat

It is, it is a glorious thing to be a Dark Lord of the Sith