 Off-Topic / Fun / 1259
Re: British English (Was: Semi-ADMIN: Pause Train Reference...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sat, 27 Mar 1999 21:35:14 GMT

On Thu, 25 Mar 1999 18:17:32 GMT, Sproaticus uttered the following
profundities...
obconspiracy:  A history teacher tried telling me that the Americans tried
to grossly modify the English language to make it appear distinct and apart
from the language spoken in England.  (Evidently, the suggestions of
adopting Latin, German, or Hebrew as the official language didn't go over
too well.)  Noah Webster's first dictionary was compiled for just this
purpose, with a special commission from the new government.

Anybody know if this is true?

Some details there of which I was not aware. I do know that
Ben Franklin advocated the adoption of French, in deference
to their assistance in your rebellion. Noah Webster was the
one who dropped the u's and other letters from some words. He
was also noted for trying to change the whole way in which the
American dialect was spelled. He advocated a change to a more
phonetic-based spelling system.
richard.dee@nospam.virgin.net               remove nospam dot
Web Site:   http://freespace.virgin.net/richard.dee/lego.html
ICQ 13177071                  AOL Instant Messenger: RJD88888
For the best Lego news, visit:    http://www.lugnet.com/news/
Need instructions for a model?       http://www.kl.net/scans/