 Administrative / Database / 207
Re: Semi-ADMIN: Pause Train Reference Improvement Work in Good Shape
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.database, lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 27 Mar 1999 23:45:53 GMT

In lugnet.admin.database, dulcaoin@alumni.cse.ucsc.edu (Joshua Delahunty)
writes:
[...]

A couple notes:
1) I'm not The Law on this; I'm stating my opinion and trying to
explain how I arrived at what's in place.  Todd and Suzanne were kept
in the loop on (most) of my choices, and agreed (however tacitly) to
my changes.  When it comes right down to it, Todd is the Law. :-)  I
welcome further opinions on this, both in the spirit of how Todd would
have it done, and because I believe it best that things be done that
way (the RTL Review template, originally my creation, was changed many
times based on feedback from RTL, it's just the right way to do it).

I'm not (nor do I probably want to spend the time to become) knowledgeable
enough about LEGO Trains and train terminology in general to have an opinion
here that really is worth any weight, but generally I fall on the side of
the fence that gives more prominence to names that people generally use in
conversation, as opposed to names that are 100% technically correct.

But...

2) A lot of this will go away eventually, as Fuzzy Categorizations are
introduced by Todd.  Not only will a much nicer and more natural
"official" set of categorizations come into play (4549 Road N' Rail
Hauler and 4555 Freight Loading Station get connected, since they both
involve loading freight onto a train with cranes), but _I_believe_ it's
in the cards for each and every one of us to define and save our own
links, so we can each have our own customized view of the LEGO universe
(or multiverse, if you prefer).  What's there now is meant to be a useful
reference tool for _most_ folks.

...Yup, the fuzzy cats and cross-refs will help greatly -- and will allow
both the colloquial term and the technical term to be used to find
something.

For example, the brown Adventurers hat -looks- like a fedora like the one
Indiana Jones had, but actually it's a bush hat.  So it should be listed
"officially" as a bush hat, but making sure that if someone types fedora, it
would turn up at some percentage of match.

Another example -- those 4x8x2 half-octagonal castle turret elements.  They
actually aren't turrets -- they're battlements or something like that (I
forget the correct term at the moment).  But so many people call them
turrets that even if they're listed as battlements, typing "turret" should
turn them up.

So, back to train stuff.  I don't care what you guys decide on for now, just
try to be consistent so it'll be clear later how to expand things.

--Todd