 Off-Topic / Fun / 1182
Re: OT: OM (was: Re: Rare? SW sets FSOT:
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 04:22:04 GMT

removed market.bst from the groups list...

"Christopher L. Weeks" wrote:

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

They were the talk of the OM (1) competition on Saturday too.

1 - Odessey of the Mind. One reason we moved to Ada is that Forest Hills
schools rock this competition on a consistent basis, with several
national champ teams in the last 10 years. Taya's team didn't win,
though. Maybe next year.

How do you like OM?  (I guess you do, since you mention it.)  I studied
it very briefly in one of my several gifted ed courses and it sounded
great.  Some of the problems that I have with many of those
extra-curricular brain competitions is that they're too competitive,
it's often impossible to assure that the kids did the work (as opposed
to the parents), and they're too structured in the wrong ways.

This was our first year, so these are short term impressions.

OM has a lot of structure. It's possible to get around the rules but
usually it's easy to spot, from what I could see. As they say in the
judges handbook (my mother in law was a judge) ask the kids. They'll be
proud of what they came up and you'll easily be able to spot the stuff
that they didn't do, whether or not it's on the Outside Assistance
sheet. Taya's team was co-coached by a very experienced coach and she
and my wife did everything by the book. They were very careful not to
show any preference for ideas the kids came up with.

OM may be the best and the oldest of these competitions from what I
understand. I have no experience with others, except as an observer of
the egg drop and bridge competitions at my alma mater, Michigan Tech, as
an undergrad.

What has OM given to your kid(s)?  Are they involved in any of the other
programs of  this sort?

No other competitions, but both my kids are pretty clearly gifted (I
mean, just consider their father, after all... :-) ) and are involved in
a lot of extra activities at school.

Taya is currently saying that she doesn't want to compete next year, but
I think that is sour grapes. She and her team learned a lot about how to
work together, effective communication strategies, and how to make tough
decisions. There were 6 of them and only 5 can have a part in the skit
part of the competition. They worked very hard to be fair using
processes they came up with on their own. It was a lot of fun for them
and a lot of hard work.

Hope that helps.

FDIC Know your Customer is wounded, thanks to you, but not dead...
See http://www.defendyourprivacy.com for details
- This is a family newsgroup, thanks.