 Off-Topic / Debate / Search Results: all rights are property rights
 Results 181 – 200 of about 12000.
Search took 0.01 CPU seconds.

Messages:  Full | Brief | Compact

  Re: IP ( was Re: LP POINT 1

(...) But what do you think? (...) Oh, I think it's a two way street. That's why there's nothing wrong with it. When you're an employee, you're being exploited because someone is (traditionally) making money from your labor. But you're exploiting (...) (24 years ago, 6-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights, property
(score: 4.052)

  Re: Polyamory

(...) Um, EVERY US state? Polygamy is illegal, so there are many rights you lose by having an "under the books" polygamous marriage (try visiting a 2nd wife/husband in the ICU. Try asking for property from a death if you aren't specifically listed (...) (24 years ago, 14-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights, property
(score: 4.052)

  Re: IP ( was Re: LP POINT 1

(...) You admit to being angry / bitter and use terms such as theft... it is difficult to take your argument seriously as it sounds so subjective. (...) I did before... that is why I said "This is all very circular." (...) It is not an important (...) (24 years ago, 11-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights, property
(score: 4.051)

  Re: IP ( was Re: LP POINT 1

(...) it (...) Um, well, I think most people get angry sometimes. That doesn't mean that they can't be objective. And is it your contention that the use of the term 'theft' is a clear indicator of subjectivity? I have yet to hear you or any other (...) (24 years ago, 11-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights, property
(score: 4.050)

  Shou shalt not steal?

(...) Think I missed that thread-- But I'm gonna come in late and argue something perhaps a little more basic: Inter-human morality all boils down to: "Thou shalt respect others." Which really works great, I think. "Thou shalt not kill" => "Thou (...) (24 years ago, 23-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights, property
(score: 4.049)

  Re: Arguing about nature, Nature, and ethics

(...) Steve can speak for himself but I think he's responding to me. I've said that I had in the past foundered on trying to derive a justification for natural rights from reasoning about how animals do things and about what evolution has crafted. I (...) (24 years ago, 19-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights, property
(score: 4.049)

  Re: Arguing about nature, Nature, and ethics

(...) Feel free to call me Lar or Larry. (...) No, I don't think this is necessarily true (whether others agree with it or not). I am not a moral relativist. I think there is an objective morality that is proper and good for humans to embrace. I've (...) (24 years ago, 18-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights, property
(score: 4.049)

  Re: Is space property?

Hmm, I've been thinking about this issue since before Chris posted (look back and you'll find a thought exercise of mine dealing with someone living on property which is totally surrounded by someone else's property where that other person decides (...) (24 years ago, 2-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights, property
(score: 4.046)

  Re: Arguing about nature, Nature, and ethics

In response to "Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> in message news:G5qotE.M0q@lugnet.com... Larry, I appreciate the interaction you've provided. Before going any further, I'm glad that you're not a relativist (which means, in turn, that you (...) (24 years ago, 18-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights, property
(score: 4.046)

  Re: Is space property?

(...) and (...) will (...) I've been thinking about this. I have at various times thought that rights are: A) immutable truths based on the nature of our humanity, B) make believe, C) legal constructs saying what we can do, and D) fuzzy terms that (...) (24 years ago, 1-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights, property
(score: 4.046)

  Re: Is space property?

Warning: Long, long rant by the resident imperial historian follows. Grab a donut (or an ear of corn, if you're a Middle American like myself). ;) (...) It doesn't. The lifestyle we enjoy in the US, UK, Europe (as a whole), Japan, Oceania, Canada, (...) (24 years ago, 2-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights, property
(score: 4.041)

  Re: Family values?

(...) The fact that you suggest the self-evidence of marriage indicates that you and I have two fundamentally divergent worldviews. That's fine, of course, but we need to recognize that certain issues are therefore insoluble between us, and this may (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights, property
(score: 4.040)

  Uhh, back to tax again ;-) (Was Re: Is space property?)

Christopher Weeks wrote in message ... (...) unfair, (...) You're right. I have made two mistakes in my argument: one was to invoke the ambiguous concept of "fairness", the other one was to rigidly stick to the dictionary definition of "stealing" (...) (24 years ago, 3-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights, property
(score: 4.040)

  Re: Problems with Darwin's theory

(...) Democracy, individual human rights and the concept of "property" are all myths too, and myths with much shorter history in human culture than the idea of a divine creator. They're also less rational than belief in God. If we accept a literal (...) (24 years ago, 31-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights, property
(score: 4.037)

  Theory vs. practice (was Re: Polyamory

All of what I say below is plowed ground, stuff I and others have said before, so those that pay attention are invited to skip this entire post. They already know this stuff. Scott, though, might want to pay attention, for once. I won't hold my (...) (24 years ago, 16-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights, property
(score: 4.035)

  Re: Essay on Emerson vs. Thoreau; civil disobedience

(...) Ah-- then we shall certainly have differences. My own moral theory arrives at the conclusion that there are no absolutes in morality. (...) And I'd argue that it CAN be. Not necessarily that it's EVER actually BEEN ok, but that the possibility (...) (24 years ago, 30-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights, property
(score: 4.029)

  Re: Essay on Emerson vs. Thoreau; civil disobedience

(...) think. :-) (...) Good question. I freely admit I may be digging myself a hole here. And judging morality of individuals, in general, isn't what I want to do. Especially as it relates to victimless crimes, etc. Recall that I've said in the past (...) (24 years ago, 1-Feb-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights, property
(score: 4.028)

  Re: A question of remembrance...

(...) Because after the British "left" India, there were still a lot of Britons who elected to stay, and India still existed. Who would leave if "the greedy Zionists" packed up and "went home" to the places where they--pardon me, their grandparents (...) (23 years ago, 7-May-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights, property
(score: 3.981)

  Re: Rolling Blackouts

(...) What is that supposed to mean, exactly? I've been here all along and have been quite aware of this class of problem inasmuch as it points out a major failing in the concept of public ownership. (...) If they are breaking laws they are not (...) (23 years ago, 24-May-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights, property
(score: 3.978)

  Re: Rolling Blackouts

I started twitching spastically 2/3 of the way through this. Scott, in ten years on the net, actively participating in conversations with all kinds of people with all kinds of beliefs, from all over the world, I have never, ever, met anyone as (...) (23 years ago, 28-May-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

all, rights, property
(score: 3.977)

More:  Next Page >>